This dish is extremely simple, and is something different from the every day fare. It goes well as a side to any poultry, or can simply be served alongside a soft boiled egg as a healthy meal or snack. It's filling, packed with vitamins, yet has a fresh & light taste to it because of the fresh dill. A perfect dish for any season.
* This recipe can easily be made keto & gluten-free by substituting the flour and sugar with your favorite alternatives. You can also add bacon bits for a heftier meal.
Serves: 3-4 as a side dish
Total time: 20 minutes
1. Fill a medium sauce pan with water, and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil, and add your cleaned and trimmed green beans.
2. Boil beans to your satisfaction, 6 minutes for crunchy, up to 11 minutes for soft. During your cook time, strain a bean out and check for desired tenderness. Cooking times will always vary depending on altitude, stovetop, cookware, etc. There's no harm in tasting as you go along.
3. Immediately strain beans and cool with ice water.
4. Start preparing your sauce: In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, add butter and allow it to start bubbling. Throw in the flour and stir continuously until slightly brown; a few minutes. Do not stop stirring, as your mixture can easily burn.
5. Add cream, lower the temperature, and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes, occasionally stirring. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add your chopped dill, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, all to taste, depending on how sweet/sour you prefer. If you don't know, start with our guidelines in this recipe.
6. Take your green beans, toss them into the sauce and incorporate well. Serve immediately.
I hope you & your family enjoy this super satisfying spin on green beans. A satisfying and filling side-dish that everyone can enjoy.
Cheers & Eat Well,