One of my all-time favorite comfort food recipes! As it simmers for hours, this sauce will fill your home with a true Italian aroma that will have the neighbors busting down your door. It's perfect for when you have some time at home, because it doesn't take long to prepare, but needs to simmer for a few hours to become the perfect sauce. You just need to occasionally stir it and sneak a taste to see how it's coming along.
Great for meal prepping, as it is even better a day or two later.
Prep. time: 20 minutes
Total time: 6 hours
Serves: 4-6 people
What You'll Need
1. Heat vegetable oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and stir while cooking, until translucent. About 5 minutes.
3. Add chopped celery and carrot, continue cooking and stirring another 5 minutes.
4. Add ground meat and break apart, mixing everything together and cooking until meat is no longer pink. Add a healthy portion of salt.
5. Now add the milk and stir. Lower the heat and allow to simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour, until milk is evaporated. Stir occasionally.
6. Add the wine, and grind 1/4 tsp. nutmeg into the pot. Add dried oregano, basil, bay leaf, and some freshly ground pepper. Allow to simmer, uncovered, for another 1.5 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so until the wine has cooked off.
7. Lastly, add your canned tomatoes, stir everything together, and simmer on a very low temp for another 2 hours (at least). Stir occasionally, until your sauce has thickened nicely. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
Serve hot over cooked pasta of choice, and top with freshly grated parmesan and basil.
This sauce is surprisingly better the next day! It can be kept in the fridge in a sealed container and used throughout the week. Personally, I enjoy it as quick snack, warmed up, all by itself.
Cheers & Eat Well,