The Greeks always have a way of transforming bland into exciting. When I first started working out, chicken and potatoes was a staple meal in my diet. The simple carbs and lean protein made for an easy way to get my daily macronutrients.
That being said, I was inevitably bored with the meal after a few weeks. No matter how well I cooked the chicken, it always seemed like there was something missing. Little did I know this empty void of flavor had been filled by the Greeks decades ago. Thankfully, as my cooking expertise expanded, so did my appreciation for garlic, olive oil and fresh herbs.
Here is our greek lemon chicken and potatoes recipe 🙂
1) Lightly grease a large pan for roasting. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
2) Place your rinsed and dried chicken pieces in a large bowl. Top with salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary, cayenne pepper, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice.
3) Mix everything well until chicken pieces are coated. Add your potato slices (or baby potatoes). Mix to coat.
4) Transfer your chicken pieces into your pan, skin side up. Surround the chicken pieces with your potatoes, and then top with chicken broth. Pour any remaining marinade evenly over your dish.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. After this, slightly toss chicken and potatoes for a more even thorough roast. Continue cooking for an additional 20-30 minutes, depending on how big your chicken thighs are. When chicken is done, transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
6) Turn your oven to the highest heat setting (or broil), and toss potatoes in the remaining juices. Cook until potatoes are browned to your liking.
7) Transfer your caramelized potatoes to a serving dish. Pour the remaining pan juices into a small container to drizzle on your chicken and potatoes.
8) You’re ready to serve your meal! Drizzle with juices and enjoy.
There you have it, a delicious variation of bland ol' chicken and potatoes. Greeks always have a way of spicing up simple meals. We hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to leave a note below.