Pasta, vodka and spice.
If those words evoked any kind of response from your salivary glands, this is a recipe worth investigating.
While the recipe resembles pasta alla vodka quite closely, Gigi Hadid's interpretation hit the internet and went absolutely viral.
To pay tribute, we've recreated the Gigi Hadid Spicy Vodka Pasta and added our own little twist to it.
Who is Gigi Hadid?
It begs the question, who is Gigi Hadid and why was a pasta named after her?
She must be a celebrity chef of some type, right?
Not even close.
Gigi Hadid is a famous American supermodel.
She's so famous, in fact, that she currently has over 70 million followers on Instagram.
So, how does this connect to pasta?
Well, back in 2020 Gigi posted a video of herself cooking an alteration of Pasta Alla Vodka, an Italian pasta dish with vodka-infused sauce.
We believe there were 3 components that caused the Gigi Hadid Pasta to go viral.
1) A celebrity cooked it (coupled with the huge following on Instagram/TikTok)
2) The dish is made with vodka (not common)
3) The finished product actually looked delicious (despite the sub-par video quality).
How to Make Gigi Hadid Pasta without Vodka
Not surprisingly, Gigi Hadid's pasta variation tastes almost as good without the vodka.
There's no trick to it. Just leave the vodka out.
Most, if not all, of the alcohol gasses off into the atmosphere.
There is no need to replace it with anything.
With that said, the vodka does add a little extra water to the dish which can help thin it out a bit.
That's why we recommend holding onto 1/2 cup of pasta water after draining. That way you can thin the sauce out if need be.
Feel free to also get creative and replace the water with an acid. You can try white vinegar, red wine, or lemon juice for starters.
(ingredient quantities will be on the recipe card at the bottom of the post)
-Pasta (shelled if you want to make it like Gigi Hadid)
-Salt and pepper
1) Cook your pasta according to package instructions. Keep half a cup of pasta water in case sauce requires thinning at the end (step 8).
2) Slice your chicken filet into 1-2" cubes.
3) Fry the chicken fillet in olive oil over medium heat.
Add salt, pepper and paprika.
4) Put chicken aside for now.
5) Sauté your onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
6) Add vodka and cook for a minute or so until alcohol has a chance to burn off (if you're not using Vodka, skip this step).
***be careful, high cooking temperatures can cause vodka to bubble/splash***
7) Add tomato paste and cook a few minutes until tomato paste darkens a bit in color
8) Add 1/2 cup pasta water to the sauce (ONLY if you want to make it thinner)
9) Add cherry tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes
10) Add salt and Italian herbs
11) Add heavy cream and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often until sauce thickens
12) Add chicken
13) Add your pasta and butter
14) Stir in Parmesan cheese
Gigi Hadid Vs Tradition Pasta alla Vodka
It's hard to know for certain what "traditional" pasta alla vodka consisted of.
If we're keen to wikipedia history, pasta all vodka was formulated in Italy around 1980.
It was typically made with penne pasta and base ingredients of cream, tomatoes, onions and most importantly, vodka.
If we use this for reference, the main difference between Gigi Hadid pasta and traditional pasta alla vodka is the type of pasta used.
Gigi Hadid used shelled-shaped pasta (not penne) in her recipe.
For those who hold close to tradition, feel free to use penne.
We, however, stuck to Gigi's strategy and thoroughly enjoyed the shell-shaped pasta.
Gigi Hadid Pasta - With a Little Twist
- 400 grams Pasta shelled if you want to make it like Gigi Hadid
- 1-1.25 lbs Chicken fillet cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1 whole Red onion (small) Diced (or 1/2-3/4 of a large onion)
- 3 cloves Garlic (not quite minced, but slightly larger)
- 1/3 cup Vodka
- 2/3 cup Tomato sauce
- 10 pieces Сherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup Heavy cream 30-40%
- 1 cup Parmesan grated
- 3 leaves Basil finishing touch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian spices to taste
- 2/3 cup Olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp Butter
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions (keep 1/2 cup pasta water in case you want to thin out the sauce later)
- Slice your chicken filet into 1-2 inch cubes
- Fry the chicken in 1/3 cup olive oil (only half of the olive oil recipe calls for) over medium heat
- add salt, pepper and paprika.
- Once cooked to safe eating temperature, put chicken aside.
- Saute your onions and garlic in 1/3 cup olive oil (using the last half of olive oil the recipe calls for) over medium heat
- Add vodka and cook for a minute or so until alcohol has a chance to burn off ***BE CAREFUL, high cooking temperatures can cause vodka to splash. Have a lid close by***
- Add tomato paste and cook a few minutes until tomato paste darkens a bit in color
- Add 1/2 cup pasta water to the sauce if you want to make it thinner
- Add cherry tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes
- Add salt and Italian herbs
- Add heavy cream and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often until sauce thickens
- Add chicken
- Add your pasta and butter
- Stir in Parmesan cheese
- Enjoy hot!
And there you have it. Gigi Hadid pasta with a little twang 🙂 If you have any question, don't hesitate to leave a note below.
If you have any recommendations, complaints about ingredient proportions etc, we'd really appreciate the feedback.