These are definitely not your Grandma's muffins. These flax-based muffins are full of amazing things for your body, and pack a decadent flavor that will leave you feeling full for hours. The perfect snack to bring on the road, or to enjoy for a quick breakfast. I love the slight coffee flavor and the added bit of caffeine these muffins bring to the table (a little extra caffeine throughout a busy day never hurt).
Flaxseed meal is a great low-carb, allergy-free flour replacement, that provides great results, especially when baking alongside coconut flour. Packed with healthy omega-3's, lignans (antioxidant properties) and fiber, these muffins will leave you feeling good about how you're fueling your body. Not to mention, these are great for those trying to lower their cholesterol.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yields: 6 large muffins
1. Take out your eggs & cream 1 hour prior to starting your recipe. Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C) and prepare a muffin pan with paper liners or non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a blender or food processor (handheld mixer works fine), combine flaxseed meal, coconut flour, ground coffee, cocoa, sweetener, salt and baking powder. Blend well until there are no lumps.
3. In a bowl, mix the melted (cooled) butter, vanilla extract, oil, eggs and cream and mix well.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir until combined. The mixture will be slightly lumpy, be sure to not over-mix!
5. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle generously with sea salt or himalayan salt. You will have between 5-7 large muffins.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow muffins to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing.
*Keep your muffins in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days. These pair great topped with butter, spreadable cheese, whipped cream or frosting of your choice.
Enjoy these hearty, healthy muffins!