After living abroad in the Czech Republic for the past 6 years, I have become very accustomed to the many traditional pastries and cakes that you will find on every corner. This Bublanina (bubble) cake is soft & spongy and perfectly pairs with a bowl of ice cream or a hot coffee.
The wonderful thing is, you can choose whichever fruits you like to go on top. Typically whatever's in season that you can get at your local farmer's market will be your best bet for a super tasty treat. Try any type of berry, apricots, peaches, or even cherries.
This recipe is very quick, requires few ingredients, and will satisfy that sweet tooth throughout your week.
What You'll Need
Preparing Your Cake
1. After preparing your ingredients, grease a 9 x 9 dish (or something similar). You can even bake your Bublanina in a smaller cast-iron skillet. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Add eggs, sugar and vanilla to a bowl; mix on high speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add cream and continue to mix for another 30 seconds.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Then slowly add it to your wet mixture, folding it in with a spatula as you go.
4. Pour the batter into your prepared dish, and top with fruit (feel free to add LOTS!) Gently press the fruit slightly down into the batter.
5. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Be aware that all ovens vary in cooking times.
6. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and enjoy!