Kitchen appliances aren't made like they used to be. Manufacturers tend to cut corners to provide you with a flashy, mediocre product. It's especially disappointing when companies can't seem to perfect the simplest kitchen technology. How hard is it to make a toaster?
Thankfully, there are some noteworthy companies that still take quality seriously. You may just have to sift through the rubble a little longer than you're used to. That's why we create these thorough reviews, to expedite the process so you can get back to the important things in life.
Here is an extensive guide to the 11 best long slot toasters on the market. We've also provided a thorough guide to finding, buying, and caring for your long slot toaster.
Related Article: R180 Revolution Toaster Review
Our #1 Pick
Selling for a reasonable price and sustaining some of the top reviews on Amazon, the IKICH long slot toaster has earned its place as our #1 pick. Click here to learn more about the IKICH's unique features.
Top 3 Compared
Top Rated Products
1) IKICH 4-Slice LongSlot Toaster - Best All Around
2) Elite Gourmet ECT-4829 LongSlot Toaster - Best on a Budget
3) ODA Kitchen Side-Loading Toaster - Best Side-Loading Toaster
4) Dash Clear View LongSlot Toaster - Best Windowed Toaster
5) Kenmore Elite Auto-Lift LongSlot Toaster - Most Advanced LongSlot Toaster
6) Hamilton Beach 2-in-1 Countertop Oven/Toaster - Best LongSlot Toaster/Toaster Oven Combo
7) Breville Lift n Look LongSlot Toaster - Best Lift n Look Function Toaster
8) Hamilton Beach 4 Slice LongSlot Toaster - Best Basic 4-Slice LongSlot Toaster
9) KitchenAid 2 Slice LongSlot Toaster - Best 2-Slice LongSlot Toaster
10) KitchenAid 4 Slice LongSlot Toaster - Best Looking 4-Slice LongSlot Toaster
11) Cuisinart 2 Slice Longslot Toaster - Best Chrome LongSlot Toaster
Best Long Slot Toasters
1) IKICH 4 Slice Long Slot Toaster
Through many levels of comparison, we've finally come to a consensus. The Ikich 4-slice Long Slot Toaster is the best in its class as far as customer feedback, toasting precision, and overall value. Here are some of the things we liked:
1) The Additional Warming Rack. The warming rack allows you to warm things like croissants, muffins and bagels without the toasting feature. This can be great for rewarming delicate or already-toasted bread.
2) 6 Shades of Toast: We all have our idea of what constitutes the perfect toast, and Ikich knows it. Find your ideal level of brownness with six different shade settings.
3) Wide Slots: At 1.5" wide slots, you can fit anything inside this toaster. So specialty breads like Texas toast can fit no problem.
4) Responsive Customer Service: If you've ever skimmed through product reviews, you know that even the best of products still have design flaws. Rest easy in knowing if anything goes wrong with your toaster, you can send it back with little questions asked. Just make sure it falls within the 1 year warranty. You can also send it back within 30 days if your unhappy with the performance for any reason.
Finding a quality product that hits all our soft spots is a rarity. But when it happens, the results speak for themselves. Take a look at the pros and cons list below to see if this is a toaster that fits suits your needs.
5 / 5 Stars
2) Elite Gourmet ECT-4829 Long Slot Toaster
Just about every toaster we've ever had in the family we bought for under $30, and for the most part, these toasters all got the job done just fine. But we also didn't have very high standards for what constitutes toast. We just wanted a little "crunch" to our favorite breads.
If you're looking for a long-slot toaster that gets the job done without squeezing every last cent out of your bank account, we recommend the Elite Cuisine Long-Slot toaster.
Here are some things we liked:
1) Remains Cold While Running: While most toasters get piping hot when running, this toaster stays cold to the touch. This can help lower the likelihood of burning yourself on the toaster you didn't know was on...
2) The Price: You can't beat $30 for a long-slot toaster. Even though I still think $30 is too expensive to be the cheapest model, the Elite Cuisine toaster is the best of its kind...
Cheap but effective.
There were a few factors that made us second guess this toaster, but it seems the company has fixed these bugs.
- The lever mechanism can shoot the toast out of the toaster when done (send back if this happens).
- The lowest setting is the only one that doesn't burn the bread (again, send it back if this happens).
Update***(12/13/19) After asking several verified customers on amazon, I've been reassured these bugs have been fixed.
4.5 / 5 Stars
3) ODA KITCHEN Side-Loading Toaster
Have you ever heard of a side-loading toaster?
Neither had I!
After some research, I've found it be a pretty popular appliance over in Europe. The ODA Kitchen Side-Loading toaster gives you all the positive qualities of a long-slot toaster without the notorious failures of regular toasters. Here's how:
1) Easy cleaning: We all know cleaning a toaster can be a huge pain. It's like having a miniature oven with openings no regular sized hands could possible fit in. Thankfully, the side of the toaster completely exposes everything internally so cleaning is as simple as pulling the tray out and wiping it down.
2) Toast just about anything: Everything gets lost in a toaster. Out of fear of losing whatever I put in it, I pretty much only put bread in my toaster. But with the side-loading option, you can easily toast anything; Paninis, vegetables, burritos, whatever you want.
Do keep in mind, this is a fairly large appliance. At 14.5 x 5.5 x 8.3 inches, make sure you have the room in your kitchen. With the inside of the toaster completely exposed, abandoned paper towels can easily catch fire. Again, make sure you have a safe spot for it.
4.5 / 5 Stars
4) Dash DVTS501WH Clear View Extra Wide Slot Toaster
Some of us have some pretty crazy expectations. After reading tons of customer reviews, I can tell you that if 100 people bought the same toaster, 50% would tell you it's the greatest piece of technology they're ever had. The other half would start a riot over the inadequacy of today's kitchen appliances.
The point is if you have high expectations, you either have to cough up the dough or find a product that allows you some control. Well, a window on your toaster offers you just that...
If you're picky about the color of your toast, and the quality of your morning depends on it, the Dash Clear View Toaster may be the perfect fit for you.
Equipped with a window in the front, you can literally stare at your toast/bagel/muffin until it is to your exact specification. It offers a nice alternative to the unpredictable nature of regular toasters.
This is another toaster that tends to eject your toast into the air after it's done. It also has a safety mechanism that keeps the lever from lowering completely. Some people complained about this because they didn't read the instructions thoroughly. If the lever does not remain down, the crumb catcher needs to be adjusted.
4.5 / 5 Stars
5) Kenmore Elite 76774 4-Slice Auto-Lift Long Slot Toaster
Alright, this long-slot toaster has a laundry list of qualities that make it the most high tech, precision based model on the market. Let's get straight into it...
1) Automated Lift (electronic motor brings toast up and down)
2) 9 Toast settings to get your toast to your exact specification.
3) Retractable Cord for those who have OCD like me and need all unused kitchen appliances out of the way.
4) LED Timer display to allow you to see exactly when the toast will be done.
5) Defrost, Bagel, Warm, and Front Only Settings so you can toast whatever you like, in whatever quantity you like.
Without a doubt, the Kenmore Elite auto-lift toaster is the most advanced long slot toaster of its kind. But there are some reasons it didn't make the top of our list.
There were several complaints about the kenmore toasting a little slower than your average toaster. Some customers also complained of an initial stench for the first few uses. If you go this direction, just make sure and run the machine dry (empty) for a few cycles. This should clear the smell problem up.
4.5 / 5 Stars
6) Hamilton Beach 2-In-1 Countertop Oven And Long Slot Toaster
Let's rekindle the half century old debate of which is better; the toaster oven or the toaster?
Or...let's disregard the debate altogether and get them both!
Both toaster ovens and toasters have earned their place in the kitchen. It would be hard to say one is 100% better than the other, so why not consolidate the two?
Hamilton has created one of the weirdest, and yet most highly regarded toaster oven/toasters on the market. How this bizarre appliance has attracted more than 4000 amazon reviews while still maintaining a 4 star rating (as of 12/13/19) is beyond me. Our conclusion here at Robust Kitchen...
It's a kitchen unicorn!
Once in a while the kitchen industry smashes two concepts together and it ACTUALLY works! The toaster and toaster oven may be a surprisingly compatible duet. So if you were in the market for a toaster but now realize how awesome it would be to have a toaster oven, you've met your match.
Do keep in mind the oven is relatively small and the picture can be a little deceiving. So if you're looking to serve the whole family, it may behoove you to invest in a full fledged countertop oven. If you decide to go the this route, check out our article on the 9 Best Countertop Ovens.
4.5 / 5 Stars
7) Breville 'Lift & Look' BTA630XL One-Touch Extra Long 4-Slice Toaster
Breville is a superior kitchen appliance manufacturer. They make high quality kitchen equipment for a fairly high price.
The reviews hit both sides of the spectrum. Some people said the Breville Lift and Look long-slot toaster was the best toaster they've ever had, and others complained of its malfunctions within the first week.
If you're interested in the Breville, do yourself a favor and get the 3 or 4 year protection plan. On the off chance that you get a faulty unit, you can return it for a brand new one. It adds roughly $5-10 to the bill and may save you a serious head ache in the future.
4 / 5 Stars
8) Hamilton Beach 4-Slice Long Slot Keep Warm Toaster
The Hamilton Beach Long-Slot toaster is simple yet effective. If you're looking for a cheaper model that has all the basic functions of an ordinary toaster, this is the unit for you.
Hamilton has long been prized for making kitchen equipment that simply "gets the job done". Many of us don't need all the bells and whistles of newer models. So if a simple long-slot toaster is what you need. This one functions, and it functions just fine.
4 / 5 Stars
9) KitchenAid KMT3115BM 2 Slice Long Slot High-Lift Lever Toaster
One slot toasters are perfect if you're trying to save space in the kitchen. Just make sure one slot is enough for you and the family. If you have a house full of hungry kids, making toast with a one-slot toaster can make for a lengthy morning.
The KitchenAid Long-Slot toaster also has a cool, classic look that makes them an attractive piece for rustic style kitchens. If a one-slot toaster is what you're looking for, KitchenAid is the company I'd recommend.
4.5 / 5 Stars
10) KitchenAid KMT5115DG 4-Slice Long Slot Toaster
The KitchenAid KMT5115DG is essentially the 2-slotted twin of the kitchenAid model above. Unfortunately this unit doesn't have a ton of amazon reviews.
But the reviews it does have are definitely noteworthy. People were very happy with the visual and space-saving qualities of this model. There were no common complaints other than the buttons being a little confusing and small. Evaluate the qualities that are important to you.
4 / 5 Stars
11) Cuisinart CPT-2400 Long-Slot Toaster
This shiny looking robot is reminiscent of the toasters I grew up with. Equipped with all the basic functions of a proper toaster (toast, bagel, warm functions), the Cuisinart Long-Slot toaster is simply a proficient toaster at a reasonable price.
The only question you have to ask yourself is if the bright chrome exterior will find a visually appealing place in your kitchen. I think we can all agree that chrome can either make, or break, the aesthetics of a kitchen. Envision this toaster in your kitchen and see if it works with the environment.
4 / 5 Stars
Why a Long Slot Toaster?
You're currently reading an article titled, "the Best Long Slot Toasters." So it begs the question,
Why a long-slot toaster?
Well, let's clarify each toaster's limitations.
Regular Slot Toasters: English muffins, regular size bagels, regular sized slices of bread (4.5"X4.5"), Eggo waffles.
So the perfect toaster for you is the one that toasts your favorite foods. If you want to keep your options open, go with the long-slot toaster. You'll never complain about having too much room.
But if you find yourself sticking to smaller food items, regular-slot toasters tend to be on the cheaper side of the spectrum.
Consider Before You Buy
While it may seem straightforward, dedicating some time to research long-slot toasters will save you some headache in the end. Let's look at the characteristics that define a high-quality long-slot toaster.
Length and Width of Slots
Not all manufacturers adhere to the same definition of "long." It's important to check the dimensions before committing to any one product.
So, what are the proper dimensions for a slot?
Length: A regular piece of bread is roughly 4.5" X 4.5" so to allow enough room for two slices of bread, (with a little wiggle room) a good baseline toaster slot length is 10".
Width: A regular piece of bread is about 3/4" thick. But to accommodate thicker pieces of bread, (which tend to be the more delicious varieties) 1.25" is a good baseline width.
Insulation isn't usually a critical variable in choosing a toaster, but it is something to consider. Well-insulated toasters put off less heat, which can:
1) Help you save on your energy bill
2) Keep you from burning yourself
The Elite Cuisine Long Slot Toaster is an example of a well-insulated unit.
How Many Slots?
I have yet to see a four-slot, long-slot toaster. I assume because it would take up the entire kitchen counter.
Two toaster slots seem to get the job done without using up too much space. But if it is space you're looking for, there are some popular 1 slot, long-slot toasters available.
Toast Shade Presets
If you're picky about the amount of crunch, color or texture your toast imparts, it's imperative to have as much control as possible. A higher number of presets allows you to have more influence over the shade of your toast.
If you're less concerned about the shade of your toast, five shade settings will suffice. I have found myself perfectly happy in this category (this includes the majority of the toasters detailed below).
If you have high standards for your toasting endeavors, look for something closer to 7-9 shade settings (the Kenmore Elite Long-Slot Toaster has 9).
Ease of Cleaning (Crumb Tray)
If you've ever cleaned a toaster without a crumb tray, you know how much of a pain it is. I'll keep this section short.
MAKE SURE THERE'S A CRUM TRAY!
Neglecting to clean your toaster is a massive fire hazard, and it's very easy to forget about cleaning when the cleaning is a serious chore. Just ask my mom, I almost burned the house down. Moral of the story...
A crumb tray makes cleaning easy and practical.
Surely I'm not the only one who gets anxiety from loose wires. Having a retractable cord, or at least a cord wrap underneath, helps to organize the kitchen when the toaster isn't being used.
Retractable Cord: Kenmore Elite Long-Slot Toaster
Cord Wrap Underneath: Ikich Long-Slot Toaster
Functions to Look For
A defrost function allows you to put items in the toaster straight from your freezer. It merely adds time to the toasting time to account for extra thawing time.
-"A Bit More"
The "a bit more" function allows you to give your toast an extra minute or two. This is perfect for those times when toasting something you're unfamiliar with. Start the timer low and then use the "a bit more" function until it's to your desired consistency.
The bagel function turns one burner on for each slot. This allows the face of your bagels to toast without toasting the portion you hold in your hands.
The warm setting will enable you to warm up food without toasting it. This is especially useful for items that have already been toasted. It's also great for delicate bread.
-One Slot Toast Option
Sometimes using two slots is a waste of energy, especially when you're only serving for one. A one slot warming setting consolidates the heat to one slot, reducing energy waste.
How to Properly Use a Long-Slot Toaster
If you know how to use a regular toaster than you know how to use a long-slot toaster. Sure, some of the more high tech toasters will require a more thorough reading of the instructional pamphlet, but overall we're talking about the most casual kitchen appliance on the market.
The first thing you should do is read the instructions!
Getting rid of the Chemical Smell
MANY of the toasters available have a process to get rid of the initial chemical smell. Make sure and read the "setting up you toaster" section in the instructions to find out how.
Many customers complained about the initial chemical smell but failed to read the instructions to know that it's completely normal.
Precautions When Using a Toaster
Using a toaster correctly ensures a safe kitchen environment. I'm sure you're aware of most of these precautions but just to make sure...
1) Do not stick metal in the toaster while the toaster is plugged in. This can electrocute you and cause serious bodily harm.
2) When using the toaster, refrain from using anything else plugged into the same socket. This can overwhelm the circuit.
3) Clean your toaster often to avoid the chance of a fire. Food debris can build up at the bottom of the toaster and potentially catch fire.
I hope this article was helpful. My goal is always to supply you with a one-stop-shop and address any questions that may come up. If I missed something or you have any questions, don't hesitate to use the comment box below. I always do my best to get back to responses within 24 hours.
Founder of Robust Kitchen